Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with a quick switch up

Tonight I baked a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies for the kids to snack on this week. I used an old recipe book of my grandmother's but I made a few substitutions and changes. The end result was a soft, chewy cookie that held together despite having about a cup and a half of raisins for which the recipe did not call. The house smells divine. I am including my version of the recipe and the original version in case you would like to try that one as well.

I used a jumbo raisin mix which included white and red raisins(why are they called red? they are not red. they are brown.) I always soak my raisins in warm water while I prepare the batter. This leaves a plump chewy raisin after baking instead of a sharp as glass raisin shard. I have experimented with orange juice and flavored liquors but the results aren't that different from simply soaking in warm water.
I also added a big ol' shake of cinnamon. I don't know how much, but I am a cinnamonaholic so it goes in everything I bake. I swapped out the 1c. shortening for 1c. butter.That stuff creeps me out. What is it? Weird. I ommitted the coconut. I just didn't have any on hand. The basic dough was nice in consistency and not too crumbly.The baking powder kept it soft and not too crispy. I was skeptical that it could hold the whole 2 & 1/2 c. oats, but it worked in just fine plus all those raisins.

I cannot wait for tea and cookies in the morning! Oh, and while I was working so hard at baking those 3 dozen cookies, Maiden was doing this...

That's fair. I need me one of those automatic rocking chair dealies. There are many days I am just too tired to rock my own chair. Alack and alas, no time for more today. Have a wonderful Tuesday and go bake up a batch of these tasty cookies for your gang!

Robin's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies ;)
1c. butter
1c. sugar
1c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2  1/2 c. all purpose flour
2  1/2 c. oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tp. baking soda
One big ol' shake of cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1  1/2 c. raisins(set aside in a bowl of warm water as you mix other ingredients)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Separately mix the dry ingredients and then add dry mixture slowly to butter mixture. Drain the raisins and then stir them into the batter. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes(about 6 cookies at a time). Cool on a wire rack.

Grandma's cookie recipe
1c. shortening
1c. sugar
1c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2  1/2 c. oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. coconut

Same instructions, omitting raisins and stirring in the coconut in the last step. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment